The Smithville Christmas Parade and Christmas on the Square will be celebrated together on Saturday, December 4th. The Smithville Parade begins at 4 PM with the line-up beginning at 3 PM at the New Life Connection Center, 750 S. Congress Blvd., Smithville. The parade route will leave from New Life Connection Center onto South Congress Blvd. to the Downtown Smithville Square, Smithville. Smithville Fire Chief Charlie Parker added, “This line-up location gives people and vehicles more room to park including parking at the DeKalb County Complex and on both sides of the road to the New Life Center.”
Immediately after the Smithville Parade, Christmas on the Square will begin around 5 PM. The Smithville-DeKalb County Chamber wants to invite everyone to stay after the parade. So many fun activities happening in downtown Smithville. The Christmas on the Square event includes:
· Smithville City Hall – Festive outdoor Christmas displays and holiday music playing on the outside with cookies to eat and decorations to see on the inside. Folks will enter the City Hall building through the south side of the building and exit through the front main entrance.
· DeKalb Courthouse – Stop by to visit the elected county officials and enjoy free refreshments and a festive atmosphere. Large Christmas trees will be decorated on both sides of the exterior of the courthouse.
· FREE Photo Booth sponsored by the City of Smithville will be located on the main floor of the courthouse
· Christmas Shopping at our Fabulous Downtown Stores - There will be lots of specials and extended hours for shopping making it a great night to pick out wonderful and unique Christmas presents!
· “Live” Windows Contest in Downtown Businesses/Offices - Our downtown windows will have “live” scenes in their beautifully, decorated windows from 5:00 to 6:30 PM. YOU CAN VOTE for your favorite “Live” Display Window. Take a picture and post your favorite on the Smithville-DeKalb County Chamber Facebook Page. The live display window with the “Most Likes” will get points added to the judges’ tally sheet. Chamber Director Suzanne Williams and Smithville Mayor Josh Miller will be presenting 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places along with a “Chamber Choice” award for the “Live Window” contest. Mayor Miller is personally donating $250 to the top winning store’s favorite charity. Here’s the “Live Window” line-up and some of the themes, so far:
o Bates Apparel
o Button Willow General Store & Coffee Shop – Pink Flamingo Christmas
o Cantrell’s Clothing – Letters to Santa Treats by Tiff
o DeKalb County Florist
o Mallory Pfingsler State Farm – Grinch
o The Male Room Bro-tique – A Christmas Story
o Savvy Scrubs – A Charlie Brown Christmas
o Vintage Owl – Frosty the Snowman
o Willow Boutique – Happy Hippy Christmas
o 615 Threads
· Justin-Potter Library – Santa will make a special visit at the library from 5:30 PM until 7:00 PM for photos with the children, so bring your cameras. There will be a Christmas take home craft for the children that visit the library.
· Smithville Electric – The lights will be shining bright at Evins Park’s Open-Air Stage beautifully decorated by Smithville Electric employees.
· DeKalb Animal Shelter Pet Photos with Santa – details coming soon!
Chamber Director Suzanne Williams says, “We hope everyone can attend this year’s Smithville Parade and stay for the enjoyable and heartwarming Christmas on the Square event! It’s the perfect way to begin the Christmas season.”