By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Tigers walk away with fifth-place finish
sonni w s m
The DCHS Tigers took the floor against the Cheatham County Cubs in their first game of the Watertown Christmas Tournament last Tuesday afternoon and were edged out 61-56.The Cubs took an early lead, outscoring DeKalb in the first period 18-11. The DeKalb boys came back in the second period to take a 34-32 lead.The third period was a shoot-out, with both teams scoring 14 points. The period ended with DeKalb trailing Cheatham 48-46.The Cubs proved to be too much for the Tigers in the fourth period, slipping by with a final score of 61-56.Stephen Howell led the team with 23 points.Sonni Young dropped 17 of his own, while Braxton Atnip and Braxton Howell each had 10.Eli Lomas added two to the books.The Tigers’ loss lined them up to play the Montery Wildcats the following afternoon.In this match-up the Tigers came out strong in the first quarter, with Stephen Howell dropping two three-point baskets in the opening minutes.DeKalb played a strong first period, finishing the first quarter with a 14-6 lead over Monterey.The Tigers kept the momentum going through the second quarter as well, outscoring the Wildcats 19-10, which took the Tigers into the half with a 33-16 lead.The third quarter proved to be more difficult for the Tigers, as the Wildcats outscored the DeKalb team 16-8, bringing the third quarter to an end with Monterey closing in and cutting the Tigers lead to nine points with a score of 41-32.As the fourth period progressed, the Tigers were plagued with turnovers and missed oppourtunities.The Wildcats capitalized on the Tigers mistakes once again, outscoring DeKalb 17-6 in the fourth.As the final seconds ticked off the clock, DeKalb had a two-point lead with the score at 49-47.Monterey drove the ball drove down the court for a game-tying basket, ending regulation to force overtime.Overtime excitement filled the gymnasium as both teams and fans at the tournament were at the edge of their seats as the clock ticked.The game turned into a “shoot-out” as each team had an answered back with a basket of their own to keep the score dead even.With one minute left in extra time, DeKalb once again had a two-point lead.