By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire destroys Alexandria home
IMG 0065.JPG
Fire destroyed this Alexandria home Sunday.


A home at 201 Church Street in Alexandria was destroyed by fire Sunday despite firefighter’s best efforts to save the structure. The call came in just before 2 p.m. The Alexandria Volunteer Fire Department was on the scene within minutes, and DeKalb County Volunteer Fire Department engines from the Liberty and Temperance Hall stations arrived soon after as a result of the recently enacted automatic aid agreement between the city and county, the home, which belonged to Charles and Cathy Quarles, and was being rented to Brenda Acorn and Patsy Keyes, was a total loss. Acorn and Keyes were at home when the blaze started but escaped without injury, but two dogs were lost to the conflagration. The fire, believed to have started by an electric heater, spread too quickly to be contained. The Watertown fire department was also called to assist at the scene. One Alexandria firefighter was transported to the hospital to be treated for exhaustion, and two others were treated for exhaustion at the scene.