By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Incumbent defeated in tax assessor race
Cantrell unseats Cantrell by 54 votes
Shannon Cantrell.jpeg
Shannon Cantrell


The unofficial results of the DeKalb County General Election Thursday night reveal that Republican challenger Shannon Cantrell has defeated incumbent Democratic Property Assessor Scott Cantrell by only 54 votes.


While Scott Cantrell carried five of the county's 15 precincts, garnering 1,162 votes, or 48.9 percent of the total vote, Shannon Cantrell came out on top in the remaining ten precincts with 1,216 votes and 51.1 percent of the total. Shannon Cantrell carried the Alexandria, Church of Christ Annex, Dowelltown, Edgar Evins State Park, Johnson's Chapel, Keltonburg, Liberty, Rock Castle, Snow Hill and Temperance Hall precincts. Scott Cantrell topped the vote at the Snow Hill, Church of God, County Complex, Blue Springs and Belk polls.


Scott Cantrell took early and absentee votes 533-480.


In other races, longtime Fifth District School Board member W.J. (Dub) Evins, III bested two challengers to his seat, receiving 169 total votes, while Barry Mabe and Kevin Hale had 126 votes and 90 votes cast in their favor, respectively.


Early and absentee voting saw Evins take 84 votes, with Mabe bringing in 43 votes, and Hale 38.


Fourth and Sixth District School Board members Kate Miller and Doug Stephens ran unopposed.


Democrat Julie Williams Young came out on top in the race for First District DeKalb County Commissioner narrowly defeating Republican Tom Chandler. While Chandler took more early and absentee votes 42-22, as well as Edgar Evins State Park (6-2) and Temperance Hall (29-16), Young supporters in the Alexandria precinct chose her by a margin of 114-59, putting Williams ahead 154-36 at the end of the evening.


Young will fill the commission seat vacated by the recently resigned Elmer Ells Jr.


The Smithville city election saw three incumbent aldermen returned to their positions.


Incumbent Shawn Jacobs led the five-way race for three available seats with 420 votes, with Josh Miller taking in 390 and Danny Washer getting 351. A total of 205 voters backed Ronald Dale Stanley, and Richard Steinbach took 109 votes.


Democrat Jason Taylor was elected as constable in the First District, defeating Republican Lee Plummer, 140-117. All other constable candidates, Republican Thomas Theriaque in the Second District, Democrat Travis Bryant in the Third, Democrat Paul Cantrell in the Fourth, Democrat Mark Milam in the Fifth, Democrat Carl Lee Webb in the Sixth, Democrat Johnny King in the Seventh District were unopposed in their races.


The 40th District State House of Representatives race resulted in Gayla Colvert Hendrix of Smithville taking the primary win from Teresa Marion of Smith County.


Hendrix took the vote all 11 precincts in DeKalb, and dominated early and absentee voting 448-102. District-wide, Hendrix defeated Marion 325-115 in Smith County, 202-132 in Sumner, 118-74 in Trousdale, taking the primary win 1,093-423.


Hendrix will face Republican incumbent Terri Lynn Weaver, who garnered 4,397 complimentary votes while running unopposed in the primary, in November.


Amelia Hipps of Lebanon was unopposed for the Democratic nomination in the 46th District State House of Representative race, receiving 155 complimentary votes in DeKalb County. She will face Republican incumbent Mark Pody of Lebanon in November. Pody was unopposed for the Republican nomination as well, and he received 270 votes in DeKalb County.


In the Sixth District Congressional Primary, Republican incumbent Diane Black of Gallatin bested a field of four candidates in DeKalb County with 769 votes, defeating challengers Joe Carr of Lascassas (435), Tommy Hay of Monterey (29) and Donald Strong of Crossville (26).


Black carried DeKalb County with 769 votes, defeating challengers Joe Carr of Lascassas, Tommy Hay of Monterey and Donald Strong of Crossville. Carr finished second in DeKalb County with 435 votes. Hay was a distant third with 29 votes, while Strong tallied 26 DeKalb County votes.


Black also earned her party’s nomination in the district, defeating Carr 33,180-16,699. Strong brought in 1,358 votes and Hay took 950.


The Democratic Primary race for the Sixth Congressional seat went to David W. Kent of Cottontown, who carried the county with 418 votes. Opponent Flo Matheson of Crossville came in with 135 votes.


Kent won the Democratic nomination for Congress with 7,568 votes in the district, compared to 3,728 for Matheson.


A total of 2,525 voters cast ballots in DeKalb County, including 1,402 on election day and 1,123 during early voting or by absentee.