By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Murder suspect's bond raised

Anthony Tyrone Crews, 42, accused of second degree in the Feb. 5 stabbing death of 28-year-old Ashley Bain last week, appeared in court on Feb. 12. Judge Bratten Cook, II appointed a public defender to represent Crews, and increased his bond to one million dollars. His next court date was set for March 5.


Crews was arrested and charged with second degree murder in the Feb. 5 death of Ashley Bain, 28.


According to Sheriff Patrick Ray, Bain was found stabbed to death in her Cookeville Highway home Thursday afternoon. Anthony (Tony) Tyrone Crews was taken into custody Thursday night and charged with the crime.


The sheriff said that Bain’s body was found lying on a bedroom floor at the home she and Crews shared at 3870 Cookeville Highway. She had been stabbed numerous times about the upper body. It’s not known exactly how long Bain had been deceased by the time officers arrived on the scene, but Ray said she had been seen alive earlier in the day. A knife believed to have been the murder weapon was found in the residence.


Crews reportedly called 911 at 2:33 p.m. to report that he had entered the residence and discovered Bain’s body. Sheriff’s deputies rushed to the scene, and were soon joined, at the request of District Attorney General Bryant Dunaway, by agents of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. A joint investigative effort by the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department, the TBI, and the District Attorney General’s Office determined that Crews had committed the crime and falsified the story about finding the body.


A motive for the crime has not been released.


The warrant against Crews alleges that "On February 5, 2015, at 3870 Cookeville Highway, Anthony Tyrone Crews did intentionally and knowingly kill Ashley Bain by stabbing her numerous times about the upper body."


Crews’ bond was originally set at $250,000. He was transported back to another county to be incarcerated. He was moved from the DeKalb county Jail for his own protection shortly after his arrest last week.