DeKalb County’s 18th annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life will begin May 8 at 5 p.m. at Greenbrook Park. The theme for this year’s event is from Dr. Seuss: "Cancer: Not Here, Not There, Not Anywhere."
The event begins with musical entertainment, followed by the opening ceremony featuring personal testimonies from cancer survivors at 6 p.m., and then a Survivors’ Lap, during which those who have survived the struggle with cancer will walk the track together. A Luminaria Ceremony will be held at 9 p.m. to remember loved ones lost to cancer, and to honor those who have battled the disease.
The program will consist of:
• 5:15 p.m.: Dessa Ray
• 5:35 p.m.: Kathy Goodwin
• 5:55 p.m.: Presentation of the Colors by Boy Scout Troop #347; Suzanne Slager to sing the National Anthem; Invocation by Alex Woodward of the Gassaway Church of Christ; and welcoming remarks by Renea Cantrell
• 6:15 p.m.: Darrin Vincent and Victoria followed by an introduction of cancer survivors; a prayer for cancer survivors by Jeff Armstrong of the Smithville Church of God; and Shelley Cross and Bonnie Rigsby will perform a song honoring cancer survivors.
• 7:10 p.m.: Wanda Redmon
• 7:15 p.m.: David Turner & Friends
• 7:45 p.m.: Fluty and the Flutones
• 8:00 p.m.: Elvis (Kevin Roberts)
• 8:15:p.m.: Tina Boston
• 8:45 p.m.: New Life Pentecostal Choir
• 9:00 p.m.: Luminaria Ceremony with prayer by Dwayne Cornelius of the New Life Pentecostal Church
• 9:15 p.m.: Smithville Church of God "Receive It Ministries"
• 9:45 p.m.: First Assembly of God Youth Group
• 10:15 p.m.: Zone Status
• 11:30 p.m.: Closing Ceremony
• Midnight: Relay Ends
For more information, please contact Marlene at 931-235-6286, or visit www.relayforlife.org/dekalbtn.